Being a foster carer isn’t easy. You’ll face challenges and need to be committed to working with the children or young people in your care so that they can reach their full potential. No two days will be the same, but here are some you’ll be able to do as an approved foster carer for Merthyr Tydfil or Rhondda Cynon Taf (RCT) County Borough Council.
Our foster carers will be able to:
- Provide our children and young people with a safe and stable home where they are safe from harm and abuse.
- Give the children or young people they look after with a great standard of care. Crucially this will include supporting their health, education and leisure interests.
- Be respectful and have a positive approach to diversity and equality issues.
- Help the child or young person in their care to maintain contact with their friends and family as appropriate.
- Be able to listen to the children or young people in their care and communicate in a way that is appropriate to their age and understanding.
- Establish boundaries with the child or young person in their care and manage behaviour without the use of physical punishment or other unreasonable behaviour.
- Work collaboratively with the child or young person’s social worker, teachers and other professionals.